Sunday, September 9, 2012

Students Who've Suffered Early Trauma - Dealing with Behavioral Issues

Over the last several years, I've worked with students who suffered early trauma, usually as infants. Contrary to what I used to think, trauma can involve many things other than abuse. Neglect, separation from birth mother, extended hospital stays, inadequate daycare...and many, many more things can contribute to a traumatic start, which can eventually lead to rather unappealing behaviors as students reach school age.

If you teach (or parent) a child with behavioral issues, take a moment to read "An Open Letter to Educators Who Work with Students Who Have Been Diagnosed with Reactive Attachment Disorder or Have Suffered Early Trauma." It's an excellent primer for those who are struggling with disruptive student behaviors.

Sometimes I shake my head. At myself. I thought I knew so much as a 22-year-old beginning teacher. And later as a beginning parent. Now, over twenty years later, I'm amazed and humbled as I consider all that I still have to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a message. I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate! And I do LOVE chocolate. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips