Thursday, July 21, 2011

Poison Number Game (Great for Road Trips!)

Over at The Teaching Nest, Lauren posted a great game that requires kids to strategize how to take 1 to 2 Unifix cubes away at a time (from a stack of 10) in order to avoid being the person stuck with the last cube...the "poison" cube.

My kids play a similar game, often while riding on long car trips. It's also a great classroom game. Here's how it goes:

Players: 2 or more

Object: Go around the group, counting to 20 by saying either one or two numbers. Avoid being the one to say "20" as 20 is the "poison" number.

So a group of 3 kids might say:

Sue: 1
Bob: 2-3
Joe: 4
Sue 5-6
Bob: 7
Joe: 8-9
Sue: 10-11
Bob: 12
Joe: 13-14
Sue: 15
Bob: 16-17
Joe: 18
Sue: 19
Bob: I'm stuck with 20!

The more you play, the better you get at strategizing how to avoid 20.

4 comments:

  1. We play a similar game in French. But it's treize (unlucky 13) that you go out on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've played this game with primary school classes. We usually play to 11. But I really like the idea of using it as a car game - I'm getting a little sick of I spy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have played this game using pennies while waiting for the food at a restaurant. You put out 15 pennies and then take turns taking away either one or two pennies.

    -Rachel
    Minds in Bloom

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a message. I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate! And I do LOVE chocolate. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips