Wednesday, May 11, 2011

How Many Feet in the Bed? (Math & Drama)

I picked up a cute book, How Many Feet in the Bed?, and thought it would be fun to act out with my 5-year-old. In the story, members of a family of five tumble in and out of the parents' bed on a Sunday morning. As each person comes and goes, the total feet left in the bed are counted.

First, I read the story aloud. Then I grabbed a doll bed and some Counting Bears. As I read the story a second time, we acted it out; my son added bears, counting feet as he went. Later, as the bears left, he counted again to see what remained.

Then we told our own stories. I made up one about Mommy and Daddy snoring in bed, only to be disturbed by one child after another (I named all our kids) who piled into bed on Saturday morning. I took them away as they left to watch cartoons, etc. After my story, my son told his own, adding and subtracting his own bears and counting as he went.

 This story could also be acted out with dolls and a tissue box bed...or even dramatized by a kindergarten class or homeschool co-op group.





Key Words: Math and Drama, Skip Counting Lesson, Teddy Bear Math

3 comments:

  1. What a neat idea, acting out a book as you read it w/ toys. I will have to try that w/ my littles. We did music the bear went over the mountain book w/ music instruments, but this is a neat idea too.

    Lil' Momma
    Living with a hard working husband, 2 preschoolers and 1 middle schooler who are Five in Training for HIM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love this idea!!! We don't have those cute bears or the pretty bed but we'll have to find a way to do this. I love the storytelling aspect to it. Thanks for coming up with such great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea. I'll have to find that book!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a message. I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate! And I do LOVE chocolate. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips