Oregon teachers and homeschoolers...I am very excited to announce that my new unit, Explore Oregon Regions, is finished! In this unit, 3rd-6th grade students learn about four regions of Oregon (Coastal, Cascades, Willamette Valley, Eastern) and consider how location influenced the lives of Native Americans. Activities use art, music, reading, speaking, and writing to bring information to life.
Students make a salt dough map, sing a region song, research and present an expert project on a region, perform a region commercial, write a book about regions, and make a 3-D art display demonstrating what they've learned about the Native Americans who lived east and west of the Cascades.
The unit requires a few basic supplies, listed by project/activity. You'll also need to visit your library to gather non-fiction books on Oregon.
- detailed teaching notes, including directions for working with a classroom or with a single child.
- photos & examples of student work
- introductory activities
- regions of Oregon song (and songbook)
- mapping project (including making a salt dough map)
- expert project on an Oregon region
- commercial presentation on an Oregon region
- writing a book, The Important Thing About Oregon
- 3-D art project to learn about how regions influenced lives of Native Americans
- more than 25 student sheets/blacklines
Descriptive Poetry & Tissue Painting: 5-Sense Your Poetry Lessons.
The bundled unit (includes Explore Oregon Regions with the poetry unit, an additional 17 page pdf) is available at:
Teachers Pay Teachers
Or pick up Explore Oregon Regions (46 page pdf) at: