Saturday, May 4, 2013

Explore Oregon Regions!


Oregon teachers and homeschoolers...I am very excited to announce that my new unit, Explore Oregon Regions, is finished! In this unit, 3rd-6th grade students learn about four regions of Oregon (Coastal, Cascades, Willamette Valley, Eastern) and consider how location influenced the lives of Native Americans. Activities use art, music, reading, speaking, and writing to bring information to life.

Students make a salt dough map, sing a region song, research and present an expert project on a region, perform a region commercial, write a book about regions, and make a 3-D art display demonstrating what they've learned about the Native Americans who lived east and west of the Cascades.

The unit requires a few basic supplies, listed by project/activity. You'll also need to visit your library to gather non-fiction books on Oregon.



The unit (46 page pdf) includes:
  • detailed teaching notes, including directions for working with a classroom or with a single child.
  • photos & examples of student work
  • introductory activities
  • regions of Oregon song (and songbook)
  • mapping project (including making a salt dough map)
  • expert project on an Oregon region
  • commercial presentation on an Oregon region
  • writing a book, The Important Thing About Oregon
  • 3-D art project to learn about how regions influenced lives of Native Americans
  • more than 25 student sheets/blacklines

You have the option to purchase a bundled unit which also includes Descriptive Poetry & Tissue Painting: 5-Sense Your Poetry Lessons.


The bundled unit (includes Explore Oregon Regions with the poetry unit, an additional 17 page pdf) is available at:
Teachers Pay Teachers
Teachers Notebook

Or pick up Explore Oregon Regions (46 page pdf) at:
Teachers Notebook


6 comments:

  1. I am working on having guest posts from all 50 states. I was wondering if you would be willing to do a guest post for me about Oregon, perhaps sharing a page from this set and then a link to buying the set at the end? Let me know if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to, Phyllis. Just send me a pm with when/details. Thanks for the kind offer! love2teach2day at gmail dot com

      Delete
  2. Another creative and thorough unit from a gifted teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jennifer! We loved doing it. It made me realize that there are a lot of things about Oregon Geography that *I* didn't know! ;)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving me a message. I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate! And I do LOVE chocolate. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips