Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Multiplying Fractions on a Geoboard (w/ free app!)

It might be an understatement to say that my life changed the day I realized that you can visually represent fractions. I had a rather tortured early fraction experience. (Tummy ache every day of fourth grade if that tells you anything!) What I wouldn't have given for someone to tell me that "fractions" doesn't equate "memorizing steps that mean absolutely nothing to the average fourth grade brain!"

In this little video I show you one thing that I wish someone--anyone--had shown me as a fourth grader. The Geoboard App I use is from The Math Learning Center and is free, both online and as a mobile app.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I cant wait to try it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Jenny! I hope you report back. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for the great video! We just got this app on our student ipads and have explored it a little but I Love the idea of using it for fractions. Also love that you can use a website version. I linked that to my classroom blog so students can use it at home even if they don't have an ipad! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesa, that's awesome! I'd love to hear more about how your use it. Thanks for your comment. :)

      Delete
  3. I love this! It is so clear and visual. Your students are in good hands!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a message. I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate! And I do LOVE chocolate. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips