Friday, April 26, 2013

Math Game List for Teachers and Parents! (freebie)

A new PBS survey reveals that "although research shows that math skills at kindergarten entry can be an even stronger predictor of school achievement than reading skills" many parents feel uncomfortable supporting math at home. Let's turn this around!

We play a LOT of games at our house. It's one thing that a family with kids ranging in age from 7-23 can do. Together! Not surprisingly, many of our games just happen to include a wee bit o' math.

For the longest time I've been wanting a math game list to pass along to teachers, parents, and homeschoolers who are interested in enriching children's math experiences at home through simple card and board games. This list, which also includes a few game-like activities, could be used in a variety of ways:
  • letter home to families at end of school year
  • math center ideas for school or homeschool
  • early-finishers list
  • a checklist for summer fun

Permission granted to post the unaltered document on classroom webpages and to make photocopies to send home with families. Grab this freebie in my Teachers Notebook or Teachers Pay Teachers Store. Become a store follower to receive automatic notification when I update or add to the document.

Enjoy!

Thank you to My Cute Graphics for the darling graphic!

Update 6/3/13: this handout is also used in the new Vacation Workstation, a great way to encourage kids to play games during school breaks.


8 comments:

  1. You might want to add Shut the Box (for the adding and subtracting category) - young kids love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue! I even have that game. :) I think I need to add a second page to the document. If you think of other ideas, keep 'em coming! :)

      Delete
  2. We love 4-Way Countdown, Money Bags, Zoob, and card games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Now I do need a second page! :)

      Delete
  3. I forgot Blokus! Adults have just as much fun as the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our kids love Sum Swamp for addition and subtraction.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a message. I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate! And I do LOVE chocolate. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips