Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Purpose for Writing Numbers...Checkbooks!

When my friend's fourth graders wondered why they need to learn how to write numbers, she made it practical, writing digits as they would for entries on checks.

This Play Checkbook set would be terrific for a math lesson with allowance...and what a great reason to practice writing numbers!

If your students want to say and write really big numbers, check out this fun activity at Math Cats. Kids can enter really BIG NUMBERS, say the number out loud, and then see the number written out in an effort to check their work.  Check out this example from E is for Explore! :)

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea:) I love this!
    Thanks for sharing!
    www.missthirdgrade.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Courtney. If you use checkbooks, post so I can see what you do! :)

      Delete
  2. The sight of big numbers scares a lot of children and they get the perception that tackling them or dealing with them in general is a very tough task. That's why most will wonder what's the need to learn writing and understanding big numbers. I like the explanation given here telling them that it's to enable them be able to write checkbooks with big numbers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a message. I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate! And I do LOVE chocolate. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips