Monday, June 3, 2013

Vacation Workstation...a Brain Playground


Was on my "To-Do" List:

1. Create something for my 7 & 10yo boys to do for a bit of "summer school."
2. Make a parting gift for my 3rd-5th grade class. (Shhhh...don't tell!)

Now on my "Done!" list! :)

Introducing the Vacation Workstation...a Brain Playground!

Left section
Right section



















Using these adorable workstations--made from simple file folders--students keep their brains active with:
  • Nature Journal Mini Books - children go outside and use words and pictures to record things in the natural environment.
  • Math Blackout - using household games (suggested Math Game List is included, though individual users will need to take inventory of the games they have available), students play one game each day, focusing on different math concepts. I'm excited to make use of the games that we have available, encouraging my kiddos to try out a variety of the games we already own.
  • Book Bingo - children select diverse reading materials by choosing content from ideas on a grid. Each of the 4 different sheets may be played as a bingo (3 in a row) or as a blackout.
  • Reading List - students record the date and title of books read, either as a daily log or to record books completed.

After assembly, the accordion-style workstation can be used as-is or made into a compact book, approximately 8 1/2" x 4 1/2". (Let me publicly profess my new love for rainbow duct tape!)



Workstations are best suited for  ~ grades 2-6.* (Book Bingo includes chapter book suggestions like "Newbery Award.") 

*Update (6/22/2013) - The file has been updated to include a Book Bingo sheet for grades K-1 and a Math Blackout activity sheet for students preparing for grade 1.

In the homeschool setting, workstations can be used on an ongoing basis. They might also be assigned as independent homework during the school year. Complete directions with photos and worksheets are included. A Family Letter is also included to help parents implement the activities with their children.

Available through Teachers Notebook or Teachers Pay Teachers.

Happy Vacation!

Graphics (background & frames) by MyCuteGraphics.com

P.S. Monday is my last day with my sweet class. This is an
end-of-year gift for my students & a welcome-to-summer gift for my own kids! :) See below...







7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Diana! I had a blast making them. :)

      Delete
  2. I love this! My son would too! Please share at the After School Linky Party on my blog right now. There are SO many parents and caregivers looking for great summer learning ideas. This is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! You made my day!! :)

      Delete
    2. YEAH! I'm SO thrilled that you shared. Stop by my blog tomorrow to see it featured at this weeks' linky and please share more of your amazing ideas, Cindy!

      Delete
  3. That is a great idea! You took such beautiful pictures too!
    Kids Math Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, Lucy, thank you! Especially for the comment on the pictures. I'm trying to get better at it.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving me a message. I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate! And I do LOVE chocolate. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips