Thursday, April 14, 2011

Easter Egg Symmetry (+ Bunny Tangrams??)

Last fall, we made symmetrical masks, modeled after some found on Mathwire. I thought it would be fun to do something similar with Easter eggs this week. We began by reading Magic Mirror Tricks, looking at the symmetry in the pictures.

My 8yo enjoyed using punches to decorate his egg. He worked really hard to make it symmetrical, agonizing over the fact that "it might be 100th of a millimeter off, Mom!"



At first, I gave my newly 5yo some cutouts and helped him with the symmetry. In time, however, I faced up to the inevitable. He was having entirely too much fun with DECORATING and could have cared less about the symmetry involved. That's okay. We're all about fun here, too! :)

Check out a few more of our symmetry lessons!

Or try making some Easter bunny tangrams. (What will people think of next???)


We're linked up over at A Mommy's Adventures: stART. And don't forget to check out all the posts linked to Math Monday! What a lot of great ideas to explore.

5 comments:

  1. Very nice - I think we'll be copying this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I did the Easter Bunny Tangrams this week with Lili and Emily! = ) Might have to do the eggs next week. Looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I did the Easter Bunny Tangrams with Lili & Emily this week! = ) Might have to do the egg symmetry with them yet. Looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun egg decorating. I'm stopping by from Preschool Corner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great exercise for both of them. My daughter also gets carried away quite often when she does patterns or symmetry.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a message. I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate! And I do LOVE chocolate. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips