Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Double Pennies for a Week or Take a Dollar?

Here's another great extension for a paired reading of the books, One Grain of Rice and The King's Chessboard, two books that explore the concept of doubling.

I asked my son which he would rather have:

1. a penny today that would then double each day for a week.
2. one dollar.

I made a handout for him to record his thought using words, pictures and/or numbers.


Print the handout and try it with your kids. I'd love to know what methods they used to solve the problem.



P.S. After he chose "A", I gave him the $1.27. He eagerly put it in the coin box he made in Sunday School and then put it in the offering at church. His idea. Happy sigh.

6 comments:

  1. ThIs is perfect for young children to grasp the idea of doubling! I will remember this for when K is older. Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm such a math nerd. I cannot wait until my son is old enough to begin learning these concepts!

    Jamie @ hands on : as we grow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I am so doing it when daughter is older. Great doubling lesson that doesn't go too far up to lose younger children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific idea going to give this a try with my oldest. Love that he gave it to church:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea! Am going to try w/ my son.
    What a wonderful heart too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a message. I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate! And I do LOVE chocolate. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips