Monday, November 15, 2010

Milk Cap Math: MADS Elimination



Here is another milk cap math game for basic +/-/x/division practice. My 15yo daughter thought of the name, MADS Elimination. (Thanks!)

The object?

M: multiply
A: add
D: divide
S: subtract

...in order to eliminate all milk caps on the playing field. (Before you go completely MADs!)

You'll need:
  • two sets of 10 milk caps (any color), numbered 1-10
  • two, 1-6 dice
To play the game, each player forms a line of milk caps, 1-10. Players take turns rolling the dice. When dice are rolled, the player may choose to multiply, add, divide, or subtract. So, for example:

Dice rolled: 3 and 5

I can:

M: 3 x 5 (won't work since my caps are 1-10)
A: 3 + 5 = 8
D: 5 / 3 = 2.5 (won't work)
S: 5 - 3 = 2

So I could eliminate either the 2 or the 8 cap. If the cap(s) has already been eliminated, I lose my turn. The first player to eliminate all caps, wins.

You can make this a little easier (preschool) by using 6 caps (1-6) and one die (1-6) and removing caps from the table as you roll each number.

You can make this a little harder by using bigger numbers (on the caps) or having the option of rolling multiple dice. For example, you could roll three, 1-6 dice, and make a number sentence using all three numbers. (You could also use dice with different numbers: 0-5, 4-9, etc.)

Example using 3 dice:

I roll: 1,3,4

I could do any number of combinations...I won't list them all, but for example:

3 - 1 + 4

1 x 4 - 3   (You could even talk about order of operations here.)

4 - 1 + 3

Lots and lots of possibilities for this game!

Running out of math caps yet?? ;)

This is another great math workbox game! ;)

15 comments:

  1. I love this idea! It's so simple but full of possibilities. It would make great travel game as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea!! Thanks for sharing! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute idea! We will add it to our math center for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love this!!!
    BTW-I posted about your probability pouch today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous ideas! I love the recycling aspect of the games as well. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! My class will play this tomorrow!!


    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome idea. My student always love it when another "kid" came up with part of an activity! Will share if you don't mind.

    Thanks again!
    -Teaching To-Go Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your site is awesome. I teach 4th grade math and science core and can't wait to try this with my kids. I did Magic Squares with them last year with the Ben Franklin Book, but I love the hands on idea of using the milk caps. Can't believe I didn't think of that....thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found your blog from another that I found on Education Cubes LOL! Liked hers too and going back to it, but had to say this idea is AWESOME! I have milk cap letters for spelling and alphabet, but never thought of making a number set. GENIUS.

    I can't wait to read more of your ideas! Putting your button on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the great ideas. I have boys struggling with multiplication tables and so I just searched your site for ideas. Thank you for providing ideas that will make math fun and the concepts clear! I'm glad I found you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is sheer genius, Cindy! My son is going to go crazy over this (time to start saving those milk caps). I'm featuring this tomorrow at the After School Linky Party. Stop by to check it out and share other amazing ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! (And I wish I could give you some milk caps. We now have a LOT! :)

      Delete
  12. Gran blog. Me ha servido mucho para las clases con mis estudiantes. Gracias por compartir su creatividad y talento.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a message. I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate! And I do LOVE chocolate. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips