1. Create a Lego masterpiece with line symmetry.
- Basic level: build a Lego creation with at least one line of symmetry. When you're done, show the lines of symmetry.
- Advanced: decide on how many lines of symmetry the creation will have. One? Two? More? Build a structure to those specifications.
[Teacher note: visit this site for more information on reflective symmetry.]
2. Create a Lego masterpiece with rotational symmetry.
- Basic: build a Lego creation with rotational symmetry. You choose the order of rotation.
- Advanced: decide on an order of rotation and build a project to match.
I didn't see this idea anywhere else and can't find it on the internet. Perhaps an original idea strikes once a decade. If so, I'm happy to share mine with you!!
Please visit our other lessons on symmetry. Also, check out these art lessons using symmetry.
And take a little peek at this "Symmetry Song." Love the way she filmed it in a mirror!
Doing workboxes? Pop a handful of Legos in the box and challenge your kiddos!