Monday, October 27, 2014

October: Art & Math Classroom Activities



I'm back from a brief trip to Disneyland with my husband and youngest two boys.

That's me in the front seat at Space Mountain = sheer terror. Don't let the closed eyes on the kiddo fool you. He was fearless...the only one in our family who wanted to do California Screamin' again. Apparently we have a roller coaster kid on our hands.

Today we're taking it easy. A little soccer. A little Halloween art for Fearless and I. We're doing a fall version of Poetry & 3-D Art for Every Season* with a 3-D Halloween display and diamante poem:




Halloween
Spooky, Dark
Howling, Creeping, Blowing
Pumpkins, Ghosts, Spiders, Webs
Dinging, Tricking, Treating
Fun, Sugary
Holiday


I love how these 3-D projects look on display. And the artwork inspires kids to write, write, write! The fall season could feature scenes with leaves, corncobs, blowing trees, scarecrows...anything from autumn.

*This has been updated on TPT to reflect the photos shown here! On sale til Halloween. :) If you've previously purchased this product, an updated version will automatically be available to you.


The artwork inspired Fearless to write some of his own poems:

HALLOWEEN
IS NOW HERE
SO NOW GHOST
WILL APPEAR
SO WATCH OUT
THERE MIGHT 
BE ONE RIGHT 
OVER THERE
(...he said it's all in caps!)

IT'S THE RIGHT
SEASON TO RAKE
LEAVES BECAUSE
IT IS FALL AND 
YOU KNOW WHAT
IS IN FALL
HALLOWEEN
IS IN
FALL

October Math
Another favorite October activity? Skittles: Fractions, Estimation & Graphing. Grab some candy while it's on sale this week and you're set for math!

Remember to graph your Halloween candy...and don't miss Tamara's ideas for math-inspired spider webs!

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog through a pin on Laura Candler's board! I share your affection for math literature and can't wait to read more of your stuff!

    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE your blog! So excited to find a new friend who shares my love of math! Can't wait to look through your stuff some more! ;)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving me a message. I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate! And I do LOVE chocolate. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips