Thursday, February 21, 2013

Skittles Fractions, Estimation, and Graphing



My new unit, Skittles Fractions, Estimation & Graphing is complete! I developed the activities to give my math club more hands-on, "real-life" experience with fractions, estimation and graphing. The unit, appropriate for about 3rd-6th grade*, includes:

  • Teaching Notes
  • Estimation
  • Data Collecting with options* for either Fractions alone or Fractions & Percents together
  • Bar Graphing
  • Line Plot - I included this as it's such a big emphasis in the Common Core State Standards
  • Pie Chart - two options for differentiation*
  • Problem Solving
*Note: I've included options on several tasks to allow for differentiation or use at multiple grade levels. Some pages will be best suited for younger children, others for older.


If you are interested, the unit may be found at Teachers Notebook or Teachers Pay Teachers. Thank you for your support!

And a HUGE thank you to My Cute Graphics who provided the graphics AND helped me to learn how to integrate them into documents.



A little classroom peek...
As my students collected individual data, they added it to the whiteboard. Although activities are designed for individual use, it's interesting to compile classroom data when the lessons are used in group situations. We were surprised to find that some Skittles bags had very balanced color amounts while others varied immensely. Some kids had as little as 8 of one color (out of ~60) and as many as 18.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a fun math lesson! It's not every day that you can eat the manipulatives. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Eating the manipulatives is the best! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Min, you've always been such a huge support. Thank you for your kind comment! :)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving me a message. I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate! And I do LOVE chocolate. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips