Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Clock Fractions with a Paper Plate


In a recent post I mentioned that my students have been using clocks as a model for understanding fractions. Inspired by Pinterest, I thought it might be helpful for students to demonstrate understanding using paper plate clocks. Here's how to prep:

1. Purchase 2 colors of paper plates. I found mine at a $1 store.
2. Find the center of the plate. (There are various techniques to do this...mine was hit/miss!)
3. Cut a straight line from the edge to the center (radius!) of 2 plates--one of each color.
4. Put clock numbers on the lighter colored plate. (Again, various methods. Mine, again...hit/miss.)
5. Slide the darker plate onto the lighter plate/clock face as shown above.

Now make use of it!

What fractions do you see in the photos above?
How many equivalent fractions can you make?
Which photos can model each of the following denominators: 60, 12, 4, 3, 2?

Give students little cards and ask them to record every fraction that can be found in the photos above. Then, using their own clocks, have them model each number.

And that's only a fraction* of the possibilities! Learn how my students learned to add fractions with clocks. And see my Clock Fraction Flip Book freebie here.

1 comment:

Thank you for leaving me a message. I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate! And I do LOVE chocolate. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips