Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Circle Fractions & the Number Line Model

As I've mentioned, when I was a 4th grader, fractions were a big, hairy monster in my otherwise happy little mathematical world.

I'm still trying to heal the fractional parts of my 4th grader self. Over the last few years I've made progress:
  • Ten + years ago: fractions made me slightly nauseous, rendering me unable to think.
  • Five years ago: although no longer causing nausea and palpitations, fractions did require a rather strong antiperspirant
  • Today: while deoderant still comes in handy, a little voice in my head now does a mini "wahoo" when I hear someone utter the word "fractions."
So whenever I see a clever lesson, one that helps fractions to make some visual sense, I take note. A free lesson from The Tutor House, Pizza Pie and the Number Line Freebie, helps kids to see the relationship between the circle "pizza" fractions we use so often and the fractions on a number line. Since the number line fraction model is such an integral part of the Common Core State Standards, this is a particularly valuable tool.




Credit: Clip Art of the 1/2 fraction man (above) is provided by Phillip Martin. His site has GREAT, free math clip art!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! I really enjoy your blog, and appreciate your finding all these great resources!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so, so welcome! Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for featuring my freebie! I used to be afraid of fractions too, but I think it's safe to say I am cured!

    www.the-tutor-house.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a message. I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate! And I do LOVE chocolate. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips