Tuesday, March 16, 2010

My Little Farm-Days 1 & 2


We just started a new unit based on My Little Farm (Bridges Breakout).

Description: "Life on a small family farm provides the context for exploring place value, money, area and perimeter, mapping, and computation. In this 4-week unit, students create a paper model of a farm and learn about farm life and farm animals."

Yesterday we created a web of things we might find on a farm. "Farm bucks" were distributed and cut. Farm mapping began this morning; you can see the house/land and road...paid in cash today! Each day we'll be continuing to add to our farm layout.

We are creating a portfolder of our work, adding to it as we go... I'm using Draw Write Now, Book 1: On the Farm-Kids and Critters-Storybook Characters for assistance with drawing farm critters. The drawings shown on the portfolder cover were independently done by a 7yo, following directions from the book.

New vocabulary words, found in Charlotte's Web, are recorded on notecards with definitions and sentences. It's sticking! The word "glutton" was giggled over at dinner last night. :)

7yo student quote: "It's kinda like Farmtown on Facebook." (BTW, I do NOT play Farmtown!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a message. I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate! And I do LOVE chocolate. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips