Friday, March 15, 2013

My Cup Runneth Over...or How Do I Catch All That WATER!??

I am the only one?

I feel pulled in a million directions at once.

I value every single person...every single project...on my list and am having a hard time getting it all done.

Like what, you ask?

Got a kid graduating. Don't want to miss a minute of her last year at home.

A HUGE series of consulting jobs on my "real job" plate. (And the squeaky wheel that pays money does get more grease.)

Another kid finishing basketball who wants Mom there to cheer him on. With two kids in basketball this winter, I've been to a lot of games!

Recently finished lesson plans that are SO. GREAT. and need to be written up to share.

Another kid, in kindergarten half the day; the other half of the day I always know where he is because I follow the path of projects he makes All. Day. Long. When my sister was here on Saturday we played one game. By the end of the game, boxes and other recycled items were taped into assorted stacks around the table; you could see where my son had been by looking at the trail.  If he was added to the picture above, you wouldn't be able to see me at the desk because his recycled projects would cover every available surface. (All this to say that my house is ALWAYS in a severe state of clutter...and 9/10ths of it comes from one very busy little body!)

I want to write my blog.

Shoot, I want to write anything.

Although I love the posts on PBH for Grown-ups, I feel like I have the opposite problem from this:
“Whatever it is you want to do, you need to stop pacing back and forth on the diving board and just jump in the damn water. Getting wet is going to teach you a lot more than all the thinking you’re doing on dry land.” (from PBH for Grown-ups)
I am immensely grateful for endless interests. For many people around to love. For work that not only pays me but inspires me. My cup truly runneth over.

But sometimes I just feel overwhelmed while trying to catch all that beautiful water. Beautiful, inspirational, loving, life-giving water.

Not complaining. Just vocalizing in case anyone else feels the same way.

Back to the fountain...

6 comments:

  1. You are totally not the only one. I feel that way almost daily and that I'm letting someone down because I can't do it all at once.

    Jennifer Smith-Sloane
    4mulaFun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, we are SO MUCH ALIKE in many ways. Hmmm... am I overwhlemed? Like all the time! I constantly have so many ideas of things I'd like to pursue and need to do that my head hurts- literally. Sometimes I wish I could be one of those people that are on the diving board because I feel like I am always in the water (beautiful water like you said) but am sometimes sooo tired. Throw me a raft someone cause I love the water and don't want to leave it but would rather float in it and relax for a bit and enjoy every second being in it.

    When I begin to feel this way, I pray this scripture- Psalm 90:12- "Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom" and I pray for God to help me focus on what He wants me to accomplish so I do not waste time on things that really do not matter. Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tamara, it's helpful on a lot of levels! Again, to know that I'm not alone (!) but also to know what someone else does with it. On my good days, before I slip out of bed I say a quick prayer, "God, help me to do what you want me to do today." But sometimes I'm already running to catch water and forget! Thanks for the reminder. Need to write that one down!

      Delete
  3. Okay, I can soo relate! I think if we are a homeschooling parent...then we are probably, most likely, the type of person who keeps themselves VERY busy. We are responsible not only for our children`s education, but their extracurriculars, their social life, our social life, our church life, our work (inside or outside of the home as it may be) and SO MUCH ELSE!
    And I feel the same way...I don`t.want.to.let.anyone.down.
    But learning, in the same breath, to slow down and let go of some things. To let go of the perfectionism that I battle...
    Great post. Really encouraging :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rach! Your comment is encouraging to ME! :)
      From a fellow perfectionism battler!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving me a message. I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate! And I do LOVE chocolate. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips