Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Teaching Position (Geometry in Kinder)

So is it weird that I think teaching position, a la CCSS:
CCSS.Math.Content.K.G.A.1 Describe objects in the environment using names of shapes, and describe the relative positions of these objects using terms such as above, below, beside, in front of, behind, and next to.
...is the funnest thing ever??? I've been feeling a tad obsessed about my "position" collection. I'd love to share it as you consider ways to make this geometry concept fun!

Student Print Resources

Where is the Shape?
After discussing posters depicting shapes (and cats!) in positions relative to a table, students make their own little position books. I'd love feedback on this! Please drop me a comment if you use it. :)

Gingerbread Man Under and Over
A cute printable considers the concept of under/over with a gingerbread man and 8 common items.

Teddy Bear and Box Calendar Markers
This calendar pattern set from The Math Learning Center explores positional words throughout an entire month using a box and teddy bear.

Books to Explore Position

All About Where (Tana Hoban)
Like other Hoban books, this features a variety of photographed scenes.  Students can discuss where they see positional words (included) in each picture.

Up, Down, and Around (Katherine Ayers)
Cute illustrations with text describing where vines grow in the garden.

Bug Dance (Stuart Murphy)
A personal favorite (because my son loves it!) where a centipede has a hard time following dance directions in gym class.

Left Hand, Right Hand (Janet Allison Brown)
Explore left and right with hands.


Online, Tech Activities (Games & More)

Dance Moves
Move a dancing bear to the correct position. This could be done by a single child at the computer or with an entire class watching a projection. It'd be great to have the whole class follow instructions and dance along!

Treasure Hunt
Follow directions to dig for treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a message. I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate! And I do LOVE chocolate. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips